As part of Cambridge Auto Center's commitment to providing San Antonio and the greater South Texas area with quality auto repair, we offer the following Car Care Tips. Ranging from Safe Driving Tips for Teens, Steps to Improve Your Gas Mileage, and a Maintenance Checklist, these tips are meant to empower our customers with automotive knowledge. If you have questions, or need to schedule maintenance, don't hesitate to give us a call!
Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Limit the number of passengers, the likelihood of an accident goes up tremendously with every passenger in the vehicle.
- Do not talk or text on cell phone while driving
- Do not eat while driving.
- Be sure to learn the radio controls, the distraction could kill you!
- Drive the speed limit.
- Do not ignore vehicle warning signs, such as vibrations, grinding brakes, low brake pedal, worn or low tires, check engine light, etc.
- Always be sure you have good visibility (clean windows).
- Important - Keep your seat in an upright position. A reclining seat makes you sleepy & you don't want to doze off while driving.
How to Improve Your Car's Gas Milage
Here are some of the things you can do to ensure improved gas mileage for your car:
- Keep your car clean. Mud on the undercarriage can weigh a significant amount and slow you down.
- Consolidate your daily trips and errands. This will also save you the cost of restarting your engine, which uses a lot of gas.
- Avoid air conditioning when possible. However, when driving at higher speeds, having your windows open also creates drag.
- Don't throttle the gas or brake pedal! Sudden starts or stops use more gas than gradual changes in speed.
- Don't idle for too long. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait.
- Limit car warm-ups in winter.
- Clear out the trunk. More weight equals more drag.
- Avoid high speeds. We know this is almost impossible to resist but you can improve your gas mileage by up to 15 percent driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph.
- Use overdrive. If your car is equipped with overdrive gearing use it as soon as your speed is high enough.
- Use cruise control. Maintaining a constant speed is ideal for improving your gas mileage.
Servicing Your Vehicle
- Replace the spark plugs in your engine regularly. This way, the air and fuel mixture will burn cleaner and more efficiently.
- Improve the intake/output system. By allowing gas to get in and exhaust to get out of your vehicle you will improve the vehicle's overall performance and gas mileage.
- Reduce friction. Use high-quality or synthetic motor oil.
- Check your oil! Low oil makes your engine work harder.
- Change your filters. Dirty filters can sometimes increase the amount of fuel your vehicle uses by as much as 10 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. Check regularly to ensure your tires are fully inflated and your alignment is good.
- Get regular engine tune-ups and car maintenance checks. A lot can go wrong with a car. Damaged spark plugs or transmission problems can also contribute to poor gas mileage.